With the finest variety of baked goods and a firm emphasis on locally-sourced delicacies, our bakery is ready to supply anything from a daily treat to the cake of a lifetime. Inside our cold case, you’ll feast your eyes on brilliant tarts, dazzling cakes and delicate mousses. We offer house made breads, muffins, scones, pretzels, danishes and more—baked fresh each morning! One walk through our store and you’ll find the enticing scents drawing you toward tasty pies, pastries and Petit-fours. Never failing to amaze, our bakery offers specialty baked goods featuring in-season ingredients suited toward, the ever-changing seasons. From summertime blueberry pies to pumpkin loaves in the fall, we focus on bringing customers fresh, local goods and seasonal treats. No matter the occasion, the bakery department at southern season offers the products and services to meet any need and satisfy any craving!
Congratulations to Melinda Toppin, the winner of our First Annual Biscuit Contest!
Stop by the bakery counter any day this week to pick up some of these award-winning biscuits. They will only be available until Sunday, March 2, so hurry on in!
Sweet Potato Chorizo Biscuits From the Kitchen of Melinda Toppin
• 2 cups self-rising flour
• 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
• 3 tablespoons butter-flavored Crisco
• 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
• 3/4 cup chorizo, cooked and drained
• 1/2 cup baked sweet potato
• 1 cup milk
• jalapeños for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
2. Sift flour and pumpkin pie spice together. Cut in Crisco.
3. Add brown sugar, chorizo and sweet potato. Stir until coated with flour.
4. Add milk gradually; mix until the dough forms a ball. (NOTE: You may need more or less milk depending on humidity.)
5. Flour surface and drop dough on flour. Sprinkle with flour and pat out dough. Cut biscuits with biscuit cutter. Garnish each biscuit with jalapeño slices before baking.
6. Bake at 500 degrees for 10 minutes.
7. Serve traditionally with butter or add shredded Mexican cheese.
A Note From Melinda: My family likes to eat them hot from the oven without anything on the biscuit.