Crystal's delicious recipe was voted winner of the
2013 Southern Season Ice Cream Recipe Contest!
Check back for future contests and giveaways!
• 1½ cups whole milk, divided
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 1½ cups heavy cream
• ½ cup dark brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
• 3 tablespoons corn syrup
• pinch of sea salt
• 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest, finely grated
• 2 Earl Grey tea bags
• ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• Medium saucepan
• Zip-top bag
• Ice bath
• Ice cream machine
1. Mix 2 tablepoons milk with the cornstarch and set it aside. Put the remaining milk in a sauce pan with the heavy cream, dark brown sugar, granulated sugar, corn syrup, sea salt and orange zest. Dip the tea bags in warm water to wet them, remove any tags/labels from the end of the strings and then add the bags to the pan. Bring this mixture to a gentle boil for four minutes.
2. Remove the tea bags, making sure to squeeze out any liquid in them back into the pan. Stir in the milk-cornstarch mixture and vanilla extract. Carefully open one of the tea bags and add ½-tsp of the wet tea leaves back into the ice cream mixture.
3. Place the ice cream mixture into a zip-top bag and then in an ice bath to cool. Allow the mixture to sit until very cool before processing through an ice cream machine.