Frontier Texas Wrangler Black Bean Soup Mix
A rich and flavorful pureed meatless soup, add purple onions and orange juice for a sweet tang and satisfying meal.
Black Bean Soup Mix Ingredients:
Black turtle beans, black-eyed peas, peppers, carrots, onions, celery, shallots, cayenne and spices. No added salt, preservatives or MSG.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup orange or grapefruit juice
- 1 large purple onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
Preparing the beans:
- Rinse, drain and pick over.
- Place in a bowl with 8 cups water and soak for 4 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator. For a time-saving alternative, boil for 10 minutes and let stand for 2 hours.
- Drain beans, and place in a 4 quart pot with 8 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours until tender but not mushy. Then drain the beans.
While beans are simmering:
- In a separate 4 quart pot over medium low heat, sauté onion in oil for 10 minutes, add the garlic the last 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable packet and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Add drained beans and broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in juice and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Puree half the soup and return to pot.
- Continue to cook, uncovered, on low heat for 15 minutes.